Thursday, September 19, 2013

MP Night #3: Comfort food, Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes

Wednesday was a dreary evening.  It was very dark, cloudy, and on the verge of raining....this however made it a perfect night for some warm comfort food! On the menu for Wednesday was meatloaf and mashed taters (I also had a wedge salad).  I hadn't picked out a recipe for meatloaf so I got some ideas from my co-worker Sherry (who is a wonderful cook) and the kind of just threw some other stuff in and voila! a meatloaf was made!  Spencer gave high praises and I enjoyed it myself!  I am going to have to work on my photography skills in posting the meal pics, they don't look nearly as good as they taste!  Recipes below picture.....



Meatloaf
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb of ground beef (I used 85/15)
  • 2/3 cup of bread crumbs
  • 1 egg (whisked before adding)
  • couple splashes of milk
  • 1 small onion (finely chopped)
  • 1 tbs of Worcestershire sauce (I eyeballed it)
  • 1 tbs mustard (Eyeballed it)
  • Salt, pepper, garlic salt (just added some dashes of these, whatever your preference)
  • SAUCE: For tonight I only used ketchup, but a mustard, ketchup, brown sugar mix would be yummy as well! 
Combine all these together in a bowl with your hands (it's much easier than a utensil), form into a loaf and place in a loaf pan.  Bake on 350 for 1 hour (After 30 min take out and add on sauce)

Mashed Taters
Ingredients:
  • 2 potatoes (This was the perfect amount for just Spencer and I, add more if you want to serve more than 2)
  • Milk
  • Garlic Salt
  • Butter
  • Salt & Pepper
Wash and peel potatoes, quarter, then boil (with lid) potatoes for 45 minutes in salted water.  Drain and add milk, butter, and seasonings.  Now the amount of these depends on personal preference.  For example, milk makes it creamy, but the more you add the less thick the potatoes.  I usually do about 1/4 cup milk and 2-3 tbs of butter.  Add sparingly, you can ALWAYS add more if you'd like but you can never take away!  Once everything is added you can mash with a masher or use a hand-held mixer (if I'm making a lot then I use my hand-held).  For my sour cream lovers out there, sour cream would taste great in this! (I just don't use it because hubby hates it!)

I also made my yummy Ms Fields cookies and they were/are delicious!!! 

T




No comments:

Post a Comment