Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Meal Planning: Beginning with the Basics

I have decided that I want to start meal planning so that I'm able to (hopefully) only hit up the grocery store once or twice a month.  Sunday I sat down and planned out our dinner meals for the next 2 weeks and made a grocery list.  I only planned dinners because we typically have cereal/waffles/bagels for breakfast and sandwiches/leftovers for lunch, so there was no need for me to cook meals at those times (not that I would even have time to do that ha!).

Last night was Fried Round Steak from my favorite The Pioneer Woman...I had planned to do a potato dish as a side, but ended up just going with macaroni because I was in a time crunch...It turned out to be pretty tasty and most of all VERY simple! Although next time I think will use some cream of mushroom and milk to make a gravy, then simmer steaks for about 30 min in the gravy so they are nice and tender.





Recipe below (macaroni was from a box)

Ingredients

  • 3 pounds Cube Steak (round Steak That's Been Extra Tenderized)
  • 1 cup All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
  • 3 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper, Or To Taste
  •  Salt, For Seasoning Meat
  • 1/2 cup Canola Oil (more If Needed)
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter

Preparation Instructions

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Mix together flour, seasoned salt, and pepper.
Season both sides of steaks with salt and pepper. Dredge each piece in flour mixture, pressing to coat with as much flour as possible.
Add butter to pan right before frying.
When butter is melted, fry pieces of steak in butter/oil mixture. Flip when sides are deep golden brown and cook about 1 minute on the other side.
Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Serve immediately



For tonight, Pasta alla Vodka....also from The Pioneer Woman (if you can't tell, I LOVE her!)

T

No comments:

Post a Comment